Data Platform Engineer - Investor Data
- Not Specified
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 13 Oct 18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.3 trillion in assets on behalf of
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.3 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group (APG)
When BlackRock was started in 1988, its founders envisioned a company that combined the best of financial services with cutting edge technology. A company that would provide financial services to clients as well as technology services to other financial firms. The technology services are called Aladdin. The Aladdin Product Group is responsible for evolving and keeping Aladdin at the fore-front with the latest in next generation technology and solutions.
Data is at the heart of the Aladdin platform and increasingly our ability to consume, store, analyze and gain insight from data is a key component of our competitive advantage. The Core Data team is responsible for the data eco-system within BlackRock. We engineer high performance data pipelines, provide a fabric to discover and consume data and continually evolve our data storage capabilities. We believe in writing small testable code with a focus on innovation. We are committed to open source and we regularly contribute our work back to the community.
The Investor Data team in Core Data is a global team focused on the data needs of investment teams across BlackRock. Our data drives signals and provides insight to investors. We manage datasets of all sizes and effectively deliver data to data science tools, BI platforms as well as pushing compute to the data for big data workflows.
As a Senior Developer in the Investor Data team you will be building out our research and analytical data platform. You will be working with a variety of technologies from our evolving cloud native data tools to more traditional applications. You will use your experience in data platforms and modeling to determine where and how data will be stored and build tools to expose and consume that data. You will work with distributed NoSql stores, traditional RDBMS, columnar stores and unstructured data stores.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Develop a high-performance time series reporting platform
- Introduce self-service capabilities and improve the accessibility of our data platform
- Establish the next generation of data tools we will implement to grow and improve our data offerings
- Standardize and evolve our data acquisition and transformation platform
- Mentor team members on technology and best practices
- Contribute to the open source community and maintain excellent knowledge of the technical landscape for data tooling
- Be involved in the complete software development life-cycle, including working with the production operations team to prepare and execute releases
- Contribute ideas to the architecture and design of new components and enhancements to existing components
- Work with the business teams to understand requirements, develop solutions, incorporate them into the designs of our components, and be able to defend decisions that were made
- Provide data expertise and guidance to teams across the Aladdin Product Group
- Assist in troubleshooting issues, support the operation of production software, and handle queries from business teams
- Write technical documentation for planning and strategic reviews
We write code in Node.js, Python, Scala, Go, Java and deploy our tools as cloud native components running on our on-premise kubernetes platform.
We are looking for exceptional candidates who can help define our next generation data platform. You will need the following:
- A passion for engineering high performance data platforms
- 5+ years building enterprise grade components with experience working with data delivery or transformation
- 5+ years working with a modern development language and related platforms
- Expertise in relational database design and development (SQL, stored procedures, data modeling) and understanding of NoSQL databases and unstructured storage
- Working experience with containers, CI/CD tools and best practices
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and software design with strong analytical and debugging skills
- Professional experience building apps or services from the ground up and scaling at an enterprise level
- Working knowledge of building and deploying distributed systems
- Experience engineering data transformation (ETL) pipelines
- Passion for small, testable code that performs well
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Mathematics or equivalent
- Background working with Kubernetes, Gitlab/Github, Docker, Helm, Serverless
- Specific data platform experience: Columnar Stores, Sybase ASE, Cassandra, S3, ElasticSearch, Solr, CouchDB, HDFS, Kafka
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.