DevOps Engineer (Principal Systems Engineer/Programmer)
The Bank of New York Mellon
is aprovider of investment services and investment management and we are aworld-renowned leader in each. When combined, the power of our extensivecapabilities can help drive your success in markets around the world. BNYMellon
is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation.
As a global investments company, BNY Mellon
can act as a single point of contact forclients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute orrestructure investments, and safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world'sfinancial assets. BNY Mellon Technology's
mission is to provide ourbusiness partners with technology based solutions that enhance their ability tobe successful through world-class software solutions maintained on a stable andsecure infrastructure, and to provide our employees with the tools and means toenhance their professional qualifications and careers. Our Team
Operationsand Shared Tech (OST)
owns the ecosystem through which BNY Mellon'sproducts and services are delivered to our clients and our internal businessoperations teams. We provideCustody/Cash/Settlement services, run BNYM's digital platform (NEXEN) alongwith associated shared services, oversee the technology portfolio forAlternative Investments and Sub-Accounting products, and drive operationaltransformation through technology to make our clients and us more efficient.OST's world-class engineers build solutions with an 'empathy first' principle.We believe that our products and services are superior when we know ourclients, users, and partners - and that the more embedded we are with them andthe more we interact with them, the more empathy we exercise. The OSTProduction Services Team
is dedicated to ensuring that our technologyenvironments are best in class. Our Production Services team runs the systemsthat keep BNY Mellon running. Ourmission is to deliver a full IT service management lifecycle across allrun-the-bank applications and infrastructure support with the purpose ofproviding a controlled, secure, and predictable production environment.
Our team members use their technical skills and business knowledge tobring forth solutions that will take our company into the future. If you are a collaborative continual learnerwith a global mindset and a desire to contribute to our company's toppriorities, this is the place for you. The Role
The DEVOPS Engineer
worksdirectly with multiple Agile-oriented cross-functional teams of softwaredevelopment engineers who leverage software to solve real-world problems inFinance. You will actively develop and maintain new software infrastructure,automation, and tools with a high degree of quality. You will leverage strongsystem design principles, ingenuity and creativity, attention to detail, andanalytical skills to devise unique and innovative solutions. You will beresponsible for building and utilizing engineering operations tools,technologies, best practices and infrastructure to achieve peak softwaredevelopment, deployment efficiency, and quality with a focus around 0 touchprocesses. Responsibilities:
- Design - Work with Product Engineering teams to turn internally-,customer- or product-driven requirements into well-designed, sustainableinfrastructure and internal system solutions that enable efficient softwareproduction. Collect and synthesize system requirements from the engineeringteam and clearly document designs.
- Build - Develop tools and infrastructure to deploy, monitor andmanage production services and products used by all of Product Engineering in a24x7 environment. Ensure delivered solutions are optimized for ease-of-use,reusability and scalability.
- Automate - Automate to perform routine system administration tasks,systematically reducing manual toil. Debug and optimize scripting code andautomate recurring and/or routine tasks.
- Optimize - Collect, transform, analyze, and refine operationaldata, using it to partner with peer engineering teams throughout the fullsoftware development lifecycle for continuous improvement.
- Support - Be available to help with critical operations issuesaround SDLC.
- Triage - Efficiently reproduce reported software or systemproblems, analyzing logs, data, and system results. Quickly resolve difficultissues, often with little information, spanning across large and distributedsystems. Restore operation quickly and ensure that fixes work toward long termstability.
- Collaborate - Be able to work independently with minimal guidance.Communicate and collaborate effectively with offshore team members.
- Report - Track status on development activities accurately and ina timely fashion. Provide intuitive and organized reports to the team throughregular SDLC activities and updating of SDLC tools
Principal Systems Engineer/Programmer->> Serves as subject matter expert in leading the design and development of the most complex application problems, system administration issues, or network concerns. Performs systems management and integration functions. Conducts and leads complex analysis to correct systems, applications, software, and hardware that are not compliant with Corporate policy/procedures. Works closely with external vendors on large and multifaceted infrastructure engineering projects. Works closely with Application Development and Quality Assurance and Testing teams to understand infrastructure needs during the development and testing processes. Applies IT expertise in strategizing how to best develop infrastructure that will allow development and testing processes to be secure and efficient. Provides expert input and recommends processes in developing project plans. Monitors project progress and provides regular status reports to management team. Evaluates the effectiveness of the organization's existing infrastructure technology. Is an expert on current industry trends and emerging technologies. Analyzes trends to recommend and implement upgrades that enhance the reliability and efficiency of the IT infrastructure. Contributes to the achievement of Infrastructure Engineering objectives. Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required, advanced degree preferred 10-12 years of related experience required, experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus. Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required, advanced degree preferred 10-12 years of related experience required, experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- Build and Deployment - Detailed knowledge of at least one build framework(ability to set up, execute, and script the framework) as well as familiaritywith at least one automated deployment framework. Experience with Microservicesdeployment and management (Jenkins/Gitlab CI/ Ansible)
- Coding - Well versed with at least one interpreted or compiledlanguage (e.g., Go, Python, Java, Groovy, Bash, etc.).
- SCM, IDEs & Tools - Detailed understanding of SCM tools (Git, Subversion)and experience with source code management and CI/CD integrations.
- Logging - Working knowledge of at least one key logging frameworkand log aggregation system and demonstrable understanding of the purpose andvalue of logging.
- Middleware Frameworks - Basic knowledge of service oriented architecture (SOA),web services (SOAP), RESTful services, Microservices, API development, andMessage Brokers.
- Software Architecture - Basic knowledge of modern software architectureprinciples, distributed development and modern software integration practices.
- Data Storage & Access - Basic knowledge of modern data storage and accesstechnologies, including caching, application of NoSQL, Key/Value, and RDBMSdatastores, PostgreSQL preferred.
- Training - Provide technical guidance and educate team members andcoworkers on development and operations. Document and design various processesand update existing processes. Be a hands-on teacher and advocate to ensuresuccessful adoption of new tools, processes and best practices.
- Communication - Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Culture - Must be able to work in a dynamic, varied, and fastpaced environment. Flexibility, tolerance to change, adaptation, pragmatism,and commitment are a necessity.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United States-New York-New York Internal Jobcode:
Information Technology Organization:
Operations & Shared Technology-HR13644 Requisition Number: