Engineering Team Lead - Network Automation
The Network Automation team is at the heart of managing Bloomberg's Global Network providing a platform which enables our Infrastructure as Code approach for network devices by developing and extending Open Source software. As a Team Lead for the Network Automation team we would expect you to be proficient in software engineering, resilient system design and network engineering in addition to being a thoughtful people leader.
This is not a traditional software team: we expect our engineers to design and build a highly available, scalable, and extensible automation platform with a focus on how network infrastructure is managed and run. The Bloomberg Global Network depends on all types of network hardware, including both Open Source Software and conventional appliance-based network products. The Network Automation team works closely with our operations and engineering teams and sets standards and practices which enables Bloomberg to stay at the forefront of both evolving technologies and engineering practices. What's in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help build robust, high-scale systems which will power the future of Bloomberg's automated network infrastructure. You'll be trusted to motivate and lead by providing a clear technical vision, championing the best technology, and keeping up with the best ideas in the industry. We'll trust you to:
You need to have:
- Lead, inspire and motivate a high-performing software engineering team responsible for our global network automation platform, leading by example while supporting individual growth and development Build automation around all phases of the network infrastructure lifecycle, eliminating toil, automating responses to failures, and generally eliminating as much operational work as possible
- Work closely with stakeholders in the Bloomberg Global Network to identify and prioritize requirements for the Network Automation platform
- Develop technical solutions which achieve required service levels, performance, and economics. Lead the performance of the solution to meet those targets.
We'd love to see:
- Experience leading teams responsible for mission-critical production systems
- Hands-on software development experience in some combination of C/C++ or Python
- Experience working with large-scale distributed software systems including deep dives into code, networking, and operating systems
- The ability to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle them effectively to resolution
- A solid understanding of SDLC
- Contributions to open source projects especially related to network automation, or performance monitoring
- Experience with software frameworks in Python, and complex production troubleshooting
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.