Performance Engineer (VP)
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 12 Nov 18
Performance Engineer (VP)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Technology works as a strategic partner with Morgan Stanley business units and the world's leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global, complex, and dynamic financial markets. Morgan Stanley's sizeable investment in technology results in quantitative trading systems, cutting-edge modelling and simulation software, comprehensive risk and security systems, and robust client-relationship capabilities, plus the worldwide infrastructure that forms the backbone of these systems and tools. Our insights, our applications and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clients' businesses-and to our own.
Role and Responsibilities
- Act as a very hands-on leader of a performance engineering team consisting of onshore and offshore team members for application development silos.
- Serve as the liaison between the onshore and offshore teams to establish daily, short-term and long-term priorities for performance testing, application profiling and performance analysis.
- Provide quality, process and technical leadership within the onshore performance engineering teams an actively mentor team members who design and create best-in-class performance testing approaches and plans for enterprise-wide projects.
- Augment the activities of the onshore teams by providing an additional level of analysis for all performance test executions including analysis of the application post-implementation in production.
- Assist project team members with infrastructure and application performance monitoring and analysis.
- Evaluate overall system capacity during end-to-end load/stress tests.
- Work tightly with application development, architecture, infrastructure and engineering groups for performance testing and application analysis initiatives to define success criteria and evaluation methodologies.
- Work closely with the test data management team to establish edge case testing scenarios.
- Provide insight into performance bottlenecks leveraging a variety of skills and tool sets on multiple platforms.
- Establish a strong presence as a change agent providing innovative, effective, and efficient Performance Management practices and solutions. *LI-DC1
- 7-10 years- experience in the performance engineering field.
- Must possess a strong knowledge of enterprise application architecture and technologies including web, web services, distributed and mainframe databases, mainframe and messaging layers.
- Must also have a strong understanding of the monitoring solutions and KPIs used to determine availability and performance of these technology stacks.
- Must be well versed in using HPPC 12.5 or greater for advanced test script development beyond the built-in record and playback capabilities.
- Must be well versed in using the reporting/analysis engine for reporting on and correlating system-level events with the impact on the end user experience.
- Must be able to create load test scripts using VUGen in at least two or more of the following protocols: HTTP, SOAP, AJAX Click and Script, ODBC, Terminal Emulator, Visual Basic, .NET and Java.
- Testing, APM Tools & Analysis Tools: AppDynamics, Extrahop, Splunk, Fiddler, IBM Heap Analyzer, JProfiler.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Should possess an understanding of software development and implementation methodologies including waterfall and Agile.
- Must possess strong experience using and implementing best practice programs with respect to load generation, bottleneck analysis, usage of modeling tools and statistical analysis.
- Strong experience in mainframe and distributed application performance testing.