Senior Associate, Agile Project Manager
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 17 Aug 18 2018-08-17
Senior Associate, Agile Project Manager
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Retail Life Project Management Office (PMO) is seeking to hire a Project Manager with Agile experience.
As a member of the Retail Life Program Management Office (PMO), the Project Manager will play a key role in driving Retail Life projects from inception through completion. This position resides within a flagship business organization.
The successful Project Manager will lead project facilitation across the Retail Life project portfolio of work using agile/scrum tactics as well as project management methods & tools in support of key project deliverables. The position reports into the Retail Life PMO Manager and is based in the New York City corporate headquarters.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for leading the delivery of multiple strategic initiatives using SDLC (Waterfall) and Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Responsible for providing project management facilitation by partnering with cross-functional teams to ensure all deliverables are produced on time and with quality results.
- Development of the integrated master project plan including all interdependencies and overseeing the day-to-day activities for proper project tracking and reporting of all deliverables.
- Manages and collaborates with the project core teams and key stakeholders in detecting and documenting possible risks and issues; all changes to scope and/or schedule; mitigates/escalates as needed to resolve and achieve commitments from all key stakeholders.
- Ensures project status is proactively communicated to all key stakeholders via daily stand-ups, project meeting minutes and weekly project status reports that reflect the status of assigned projects and ensures project information is regularly shared, reviewed and discussed with all project core team members and key stakeholders.
- Support and manage any ad hoc project requests as required.
- The successful Project Manager will also support and/or champion process and tool improvement efforts to strengthen and build upon existing PMO capabilities by continuously improving project management functions and developing new capabilities as appropriate:
- Enforce and evangelize best practices.
- Works with the key stakeholders assigned to the project to ensure the right work is being done at the right time, and that the work is ready for the team(s).
- Responsible for leading multiple project teams to follow the core set of standard Agile/Scrum processes designed to deliver high quality and exceptional business value to our customers. At the same time, will be responsible for learning what is working and not working on the teams so that changes can be made to the standard processes and tools to accommodate more efficient and effective processes.
- Educate non-Agile/Scrum project managers and core team members on the use of standardized tools to improve project delivery.
- Support the collaboration with other PMOs within New York Life to identify proven project management standards and opportunities for enterprise-wide adoption of the Agile/Scrum framework and methodology.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Project Management professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification preferred.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in Project Management within the Insurance/Finance Industry preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, independent thinking and ability to exercise prudent judgment.
- Requires in-depth expertise in Project Management knowledge and competencies.
- Skilled in project software: SharePoint, MS Project, MS Office, Lotus and Visio.
- Knowledge of Agile tools such as JIRA, TFS or Rally preferred.
- Knowledge of Scaled Agile Frameworks (SAFe) is a plus.
- Basic understanding of products sold within the life insurance/financial services industry in order to interpret business requirements.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.