Senior Associate, Insights Reporting Analyst
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 22 Sep 17
Senior Associate, Insights Reporting Analyst
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Position Summary: The Senior Insights Reporting Analyst will take an active role in learning of our business, identifying the data needed to measure success, and using that data to develop insightful reporting. The Reporting Analyst will also help identify opportunities and make recommendations to management. The Reporting Analyst has the unique opportunity to develop and produce Service related reporting as well as participate in special projects within our Organization.
• Designs and builds data visualizations using diverse sets of data to drive actionable insights.
• Transform large amounts of data into compelling visual stories to facilitate analysis and business decision-making, using data visualization tools like Spotfire.
• Deliver routine reporting based on clients' needs as well as quickly responding to ad hoc requests.
• Create thought provoking and professional reports and models using Excel, PowerPoint, or other data visualization solutions as appropriate.
• Perform data integrity and audit checks to ensure accuracy of reports
• Research, review, and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing reports, and develop strategies for enhancing and improving the performance of these reports
• Troubleshoot to trace report performance issues to root cause.
• Prototype and build dashboards integrating data from multiple sources.
• Develop interactive visualizations allowing operational metrics to be summarized at an organizational level and/or presented at team/individual levels.
• Build effective working relationships with business subject matter experts
• Proficient in report development and analytics
• Proficient in the use of SQL, TOAD and Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with visualization tools such as Spotfire.
• Experience with Salesforce, a plus
• Familiarity with Hadoop or Data Wrangler, a plus
• Experience writing in R, Python or similar languages, a plus
• Strong analytical aptitude and an understanding of statistical methods.
• Strong desire to use technology to solve complex problems.
• Innovative thinker who is self motivated to complete projects and tasks on time.
• Ability to establish priorities, work on multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability communicate to all levels of management.
• Proactive with a positive attitude
Education: Bachelor Degree (Information Science , Computer Systems Analysis, Computer Science or Math preferred)
Work Experience: 5-10 years
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.