Senior Associate or Vice President - Commodities Market Risk Manager
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share five core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
5. Committing to Diversity and Inclusion
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
• Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
• Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
• Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
• Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Credible, independent decision-making
• Organizational influence
• Creative and practical solutions
• Meritocratic and diverse culture
Morgan Stanley's Market Risk Department provides independent oversight of the Firm's business activities, material market and idiosyncratic stresses; identifying, measuring, monitoring, advising, challenging and controlling market risks generated by the Firm's market-making and banking activities.
Background on the Position
This is a VP level role within the Market Risk Department. It is located on the trading floor, as part of the market risk coverage team for the commodities division. This role encompasses extensive interaction with trading teams, various risk functions, IT and other control groups, with a particular focus on day-to-day market risk management, scenario analysis and stress testing for the business.
This role is located in New York.
• Analyze structured transactions, complex trades and derivatives, knowledge of commodities markets and risk exposures
to interpret results.
• Work closely with the trading Desk, Risk Infrastructure team and Market Risk technology, to ensure that key risks are identified, measured, monitored and produced on a timely and accurate basis.
• Maintain constant dialogue with trading desks and front office support groups regarding trading strategies, limit usage, and risk representation of new/exotic trades.
• Work closely with the MRD commodities coverage team and the broader Firmwide risk groups to devise CCAR level shocks and all related analyses.
• Work independently and with reporting groups to enhance the quality of risk analysis communicated to business units and senior management.
• Escalate key risks to management with relevant ad-hoc analysis in a timely fashion.
• Provide leadership on the commodities market risk team and think proactively and strategically about risk analyses of structured transactions
• Manage a small team of junior analysts and associates *LI-FC1 Qualifications:
Skills & Experience
• Suitable candidates will have 6-10 years' relevant market risk management experience in commodities market (especially North American Power & Gas markets), an excellent academic background, including an advanced degree in economics, finance, or engineering.
• Attention to detail, project management and prioritization skills will be key in balancing daily deadlines with timely implementation of strategic projects.
• Candidates will be expected to show good judgment of risks and an understanding of risk areas covered, in particular commodities (oil, power & gas), including models and products.
• Strong quantitative and IT skills are required to facilitate data analysis; competence with SQL, R, MS Excel and VBA is required- Advanced ability to create clear presentations for upper management
• Proficiency in MS Office and related applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
• Detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills.
• Superior analytical thinking and problem solving abilities
• Proven leadership ability with strong relationship building and client management skills
• Ability to work effectively on multiple projects under tight deadlines
• Intellectual curiosity with a focus on information sharing Plus: FRM or ERP certification *LI-FC1