Senior Cloud Engineer
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 18 Oct 18
Senior Cloud Engineer
S&P Global is on a journey to be majority public cloud within two years. A critical role in the Digital Infrastructure organization, Senior Cloud Engineer, will help lead the execution of this journey, delivering the cloud platform on which our business runs. This highly technical role will partner with a federated team of architects and engineers on the infrastructure, application, and information security teams to design and deliver our cloud platform and services. The selected candidate will be part of S&P Global's cloud strategy and architecture team and will provide hands on AWS cloud infrastructure skills to achieve automation, resiliency, operational efficiencies and cost savings objectives.
In this role you will have responsibilities including architecting and optimizing cloud infrastructure, standardizing technology stack for cloud, implementing cloud service catalog and service governance solutions (such as Cloud Custodian), and driving implementation of our cloud first strategy and cloud adoption in partnership with business divisions.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Defining architecture, selecting tools, and directing implementation of the target architecture, including components like container ecosystem, CI/CD pipeline, service catalog integration, DevOps automation, and micro-service platform.
- Leveraging expert hands-on experience to design and deliver platform, automation and governance features
- Collaborating with division architects to specify and document solutions and practices
- Developing and maintaining target state architecture and reference implementations
- Specifying and reviewing application solutions in collaboration with divisional architects
Success in the role will require:
- Hands on experience and knowledge of AWS, including scaled multi-region deployments; Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, Linux; AWS Service Catalog and other service governance features; tagging frameworks, infrastructure as code using Python, and/or related experience; Consul, flannel, etcd, Raft-based microservices infrastructure and application architecture
- Earning respect with senior developers and architects across a diverse organization in the midst of a cloud migration with aggressive delivery targets; healthy appreciation of Conway's Law
- Having a sense of urgency and innovation
The outcomes of this role are measured by:
- Delivery of an effective cloud platform that is reliable, performant, and secure
- Convergence of standards across the enterprise for infrastructure as code, DevOps automation, service catalog automation, security controls, and container platform
The successful candidate will have:
- 5 or more years' experience in technical leadership roles for enterprise-scale application engineering and delivery
- Current technical knowledge and experience, including hands-on professional level experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Ansible, git, Jenkins, Python, Linux, container and microservices infrastructure such as container registries, service discovery with Consul or similar, SD-* automation
- Experience implementing and operating an enterprise-scale cloud, including service catalog and service enablement automation, DevOps automation frameworks, CI/CD pipelining, automated delivery models (blue-green, canary, etc.), cross-region DR and active-active architecture, tagging frameworks, audit controls using Cloud Custodian and similar tools
- AWS Professional level certifications, or equivalent professional experience
- Advanced computer science degree or relevant technical degrees and experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Passion for leading change and ability to bring others along
Nice to haves include:
- Software development background (C/C++, Java, C#, etc.)
- Finance industry experience
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.