Senior Database Engineer (Database Services)
Bloomberg is the industry standard for financial data. Bloomberg's software solutions depend on robust data infrastructure to provide clients with this data. Our team is designing the next generation systems for managing this piece of crucial infrastructure. Our ability to provide a DBaaS (DataBase as a Service) platform is critical to our clients' ability to retrieve and analyze massive quantities of data. Ensuring our services scale, are robust, secure and reliable is where you come in. Who we are?
The Database services team provides a database-as-a-service (DBaaS) platform that engineers depend on to drive applications throughout Bloomberg. We manage several open source (Postgres, MySQL etc) and commercial (Oracle, SQL Server etc) database options, all of which Bloomberg is heavily invested in. Our platform manages 100K+ databases and growing quickly with no end in sight. To support this scale, we are recreating our database platform with a focus on security, performance and self-service. We develop and manage the services and operational toolkits that enable application teams to easily deploy data sets and query across them. Who are you?
You are a talented, highly motivated software engineer who understands and enjoys designing and building large-scale systems.
You know that doing things the right way is harder and takes longer but is (almost) always worth the effort.
You want to make a big impact and contribute to open source software. We'll expect you to:
You need to have:
- Elevate our existing infrastructure to create a modern, industry leading platform.
- Ability to prioritize stability and performance among multiple competing priorities.
- Partner with application teams to achieve our business objectives.
- Build automation and tools to enable application teams to self service
- Work with and manage databases as scale
We'd love to see:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience (preferably Java or Python)
- Excellent understanding of databases and associated services
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to debug and correct production problems
- Experience in writing SQL - ability to write and troubleshoot SQL code and design (stored procedures, functions, tables, views, indexes, etc.)
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot Database performance issues related issues such as CPU, memory, disk I/O and other resource contention
- Knowledge of distributed database systems
- Experience building infrastructure and managing distributed systems
- Comfortable building applications with React
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and containers
- Experience working with open-source software/community (upstream accepted contribution, or community presence) is preferred