Senior Java Developer - Data License (Consultant)
Every day, trillions of dollars pass through the Bloomberg Terminal. As a result, hundreds of thousands of financial professionals rely on our 500+ enterprise applications to manage their portfolios, execute their trades and analyze the markets.
As engineers, we're the ones who build the applications our clients rely on to not just stay informed, but stay ahead of the market. We connect supply and demand across all asset classes on worldwide exchanges. The applications and infrastructure we build embody the speed, agility and financial data that makes Bloomberg the go-to for financial professionals across the globe.
Bloomberg Enterprise Content data products drive the financial industry. Enterprise Content is used worldwide by thousands of our clients, and is a rapidly growing business that provides rich programmatic access to the best financial data and services in the industry. Our products span a wide variety of asset classes and data products including Pricing, Corporate Actions, Regulatory and Reference data content sets ( https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/product/reference-data/ ). We build high-performance systems that feed billions of data points per day to our customers that include key financial players.
We interact very closely with our business and sales teams using agile and iterative development. We have many opportunities to design and develop innovative solutions to accomplish ever-growing customer requirements. We're continuing to grow rapidly, and have opportunities on the following team: Metering Team
Our clients make hundreds of thousands of requests for data on a daily basis, which translates to billions of data points that flow through our system. Each of these requests may have different parameters asking for different data types, how and when it should be fetched, and various transformations to be performed. Additionally, we generate thousands of data sets that nearly span the full range of the financial industry on an ongoing basis.
The metering team works primarily to calculate the billing charges for each client at the end of the month and controls entitlement of content. Metering entails running the entire dataset that every client has accessed through complex billing algorithms. This has to be done in a timely and accurate manner. To enable this we use big data technologies and frameworks.
The metering team is in the process of migrating a lot of legacy infrastructure into a modern big data framework leveraging big data technologies. As a senior software engineering consultant enabling this migration:
You'll need to have 3+ years of experience with the following:
- You'll have the opportunity to develop and maintain the systems that enable Metering. This will include developing new metering algorithms and implement them using Java and frameworks of the Hadoop ecosystems.
- You will also be involved in coordinating, planning, rolling out and testing regular planned updates to production system.
- You will have the opportunity to learn the challenges in design and maintenance of high availability high volume enterprise systems.
We'd love to see:
- Completed projects that required significant problem solving, communication skills and the ability to work with a team
- Proficiency in Java
- Deep knowledge in data structures and algorithms
- Experience with Python development
- Experience with some other compiled languages such as C, C++
- Relational database experience (SQL and table design)
- Experience with low-latency, high-volume, and highly-availability distributed systems
- Experience with the Hadoop ecosystem
We are extremely proud of our diverse and open culture, and value diversity of thought and perspective in every form. We're looking for engineers with a real passion for writing reusable, efficient solutions to complex problems, who can adapt to an ever-changing market landscape, and who can collaborate and work effectively on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of power users around the world. If this sounds like you, please apply below!
To find out more about Engineering at Bloomberg, check out www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.