Senior Java Developer - Video Conferencing
Our Video Conferencing team collaborates with other groups in Bloomberg Engineering to provide an integrated video conferencing solution to Bloomberg employees and clients using the open-source Jitsi Video Conferencing platform. We develop and manage the integration points between Jitsi and the rest of Bloomberg systems as well as design and build improvements to core Jitsi functionality.
You are a talented and motivated engineer with an interest in distributed video conferencing, secure communication, and looking for a welcoming and collaborative team. You will work closely with the Jitsi core software and community to develop highly available, distributed, and scalable components needed to offer a seamless and reliable video conferencing product. You will also work collaboratively with teams throughout Bloomberg to fully integrate Jitsi into the Bloomberg ecosystem. The team puts a premium on elevating our existing infrastructure to create a modern industry leading platform and you'll be in a position to drive major infrastructure decisions impacting all of Bloomberg Engineering. You'll have the opportunity to:
You need to have:
- Design and implement integration paths between Jitsi and core Bloomberg systems
- Identify and resolve performance bottlenecks for multi-region video calls
- Advocate and practice mature software development practices (code reviews, package management)
- Ability to prioritize stability and performance among multiple competing priorities.
- Apply industry standard security patterns to ensure proper data access and control
We'd love to see:
- 3+ years of software engineering experience (preferably Java)
- Strong problem solving, communication skills
- Understanding of distributed systems, algorithms, and data structures
- Working knowledge of modern development methodologies and tools (Jenkins/Maven/Jira)
- Ability to debug and correct production problems
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
- Knowledge of modern video streaming concepts including WebRTC, SIP, and XMPP
- Experience working with open-source software/community (upstream accepted contribution, or community presence) is preferred
- Experience building infrastructure and managing distributed systems
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and containers
- Exposure to modern security patterns Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.