Senior Java Engineer - Surveillance Applications
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. In a nutshell, companies (e.g. Broker-dealers) have regulatory obligations to perform surveillance of electronic communications, to ensure adherence to rules such as FINRA's Rules 3110 and 3120, CFTC's Dodd-Frank Act, FCA's MiFID II Directive, MAS 2.4.1, etc. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a pretty daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume, ever-changing regulatory requirements and variety of data produced by communications platforms.
Bloomberg's Surveillance Platform is a mission critical product used by key risk owners and compliance officers globally to meet the strict regulatory requirements in the financial world. At its core is a policy-driven engine capable of evaluating communications content and metadata in real-time, which produces violation events and customized reports. Officers use the web application to set up preventative policies (e.g. anti-money laundering, bribery, etc.) and information barrier policies appropriate to groups of users within their organization.
You will be joining the Engineering team responsible for all of Surveillance's client-facing products. You will play a meaningful role in advancing the analytical capabilities over a growing number of communications channels (Bloomberg's own MSG/IB, corporate emails, instant messages, social media feeds, corporate files, trade records, and voice). You will engineer reliable and performant business products on top of the latest in big data technologies.
Our ultimate goal is to help Bloomberg's corporate clients to stay ahead of employees' misconduct or punitive fines and be compliant in the shifting global regulatory landscape. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Design, architect and develop robust backend services in Java, in coordination with front-end developers, product owners and UX designers
- Collaborate within an agile, multi-disciplinary, fast paced team
- Advocate for high quality, well-tested solutions
- Take ownership and drive technical solutions from inception to production release
We'd love to see:
- 4+ years of professional experience in building large scale Java or Scala services
- Experience defining API interfaces and building RESTful services using OAS 3.0
- A passion for standardization and to build enterprise wide reusable solutions
- Professional experience with a relational database (Oracle or MySQL), data modeling, schema design, and SQL
- Experience with distributed source control management (like Git) and pull request/code review workflow
If this sounds interesting please apply!
- 2+ years of experience in handling high efficiency, low latency, scalable event streaming architecture implementation (Kafka/Hadoop/Hbase/Spark/Solr) that handles millions of events per day.
- 2+ years of experience with Docker, Scala, SOLR, Cloud services
- A keen interest in technological advances and the ability to incorporate new technology into existing systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.