Senior Real Estate Research Analyst
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 22 Apr 18 2018-04-22
Senior Real Estate Research Analyst
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
As a member of the Strategy and Research Group, the Research Analyst is responsible for conducting property market, capital market, and macroeconomic data research. This position provides research supporting Investments, Investor Relations, Portfolio Management, and Asset Management functions. This role requires an individual with a strong interest in commercial real estate research and analysis.
With over $50 billion in assets under management, New York Life Real Estate Investors is one of the largest real estate investment advisors in the country and a leading provider of real estate capital. Real Estate Investors focuses on the origination of real-estate-related debt and equity investments on behalf of New York Life Insurance Company and our third-party investors. Our three investment platforms include: Commercial Mortgage Loans, Direct Equity Investment and Real Estate Securities Investment (CMBS and REIT debt). More information on the Company can be found at: www.nylrealestate.com.
- Update research and data sources used in the development, coordination and presentation of the firm's view on markets, including macroeconomic, capital market, geographic market, and property market variables.
- Development and maintenance of proprietary market and industry research that contributes to the firm's investment strategies and capital raising activities.
- Preparation of client deliverables and presentations, including quarterly economic commentaries.
- Preparation of quarterly and weekly reports. Assist with preparation of white papers.
- Preparation of quarterly market overview deck, economic/market commentary for funds and SMA quarterly reports, and other internal and external reports. Provide support with new pitch books and PPMs
- Undergraduate business degree in real estate, economics or a related field.
- Advanced degree a plus.
- At least four years of substantive commercial real estate or related analysis research experience is required, including proficiency in the use of Excel, Costar, Real Capital Analytics, NCREIF and similar external data sources.
- Demonstrated ability to aggregate and stratify large quantities of data and the capability to distill information into a concise presentation format.
- Well organized, detail-oriented, flexible, self-starter, who is confident, analytical, technical and resourceful.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to interact with diverse personality types.
- Ability to work well under pressure with compressed project time frames.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties responsibilities and activities may change at any time with, or without, notice.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.