Senior User Experience Researcher- Contractor
About the company
Our users drive the world's economy. And we help them drive it. For our users, success is all about turning knowledge into action, via access to groundbreaking data, news, analytics and trading tools. Bloomberg is committed to bringing transparency to financial markets through the design and development of revolutionary and indispensable software products for our customers. About the UX team
The UX team is responsible for uncovering insights about our users needs and goals and translating these insights into valuable and highly usable software solutions across a wide range of financial products, working in close collaboration with business and engineering counterparts throughout the product development lifecycle.
About the role
Sr. UX Researchers help their product teams focus on the end user, and are responsible for leading qualitative and quantitative user research initiatives that influence the evolution of Bloomberg products. They inspire change by evangelizing for the integration of research methods into the product development process. Researchers are embedded in product teams but engage with their peers as part of the research community of practice.
The ideal candidate is driven by the desire to be a user advocate and is passionate about gathering insights based on direct observation and evidence-based best practices in the field to create products that are useful, usable, and satisfying.
This role's business focus will be on a suite of web applications that enable our customers to manage and administer their Bloomberg Market Data feeds as well as tools that provide alerting and data monitoring services to customers of our Enterprise Products.
Researchers work closely with product managers, designers, prototypers, engineers, and sales throughout the development process.
- Early on in a product's development, they plan and conduct interviews, contextual inquiries, and field studies with users and subject-matter experts to develop an understanding of users' needs and workflows.
- They evaluate early stage concepts through empirical methods (e.g. first-click studies, card-sorting, guerilla interviews) and analytic methods (e.g. heuristic evaluation, cognitive walkthrough) and include considerations of diversity & inclusion in their deliberations (ex: GenderMag method).
- In later stages, they plan and conduct usability analyses in our state-of-the-art usability lab, or using remote tools.
- During development, they work with our data scientists and engineers to assure that our products are instrumented in a way that allows us to evaluate their use while maintaining the privacy of our clients.
- With deployed products, they plan and conduct analyses to illuminate where the product is serving clients' needs across regions and roles and how the team should evolve its concept and implementation.
- As practice experts, they mentor UX designers in their research efforts and promote the value of UX research within our organization and to the broader UX profession.
As life-long learners, they continuously increase their research skills and industry knowledge, via internal training and education, industry conferences, and our UX book club.
Your portfolio should include deliverables that display your mastery of methods. We are as interested in seeing materials that illustrate your process (e.g. research plan, discussion guide, analysis) as we are in seeing the quality of your reporting.
Please provide us with a link to your portfolio and include it in your application. If you need some other way of showing us your work (either by emailing it, bringing it in person if feasible, or through an online real-time screen-sharing session), please apply for the role and we'll contact you to make arrangements to view it.
Please do not, without proper consent, share or disclose to Bloomberg any confidential or proprietary information that you may have obtained in connection with employment with any other employer, or which may be considered the Work Product of any other individual or entity. You need to have:
We'd love to see:
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute exploratory field studies, usability inspections, usage analysis, and lab studies
- 5+ years of experience in user experience research in a product setting
- Superior verbal and written presentation skills to communicate clear, concise findings and actionable recommendations
- Working knowledge of a recording/logging tool such as Ovo Studios, Morae, Camtasia, etc.
- M.S. in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Interaction Design, Cognitive Psychology, -Cognitive Science, or related field is preferred; Ph.D. is desired
- Flexibility to travel (10%), including internationally
If this sounds like you:
- Experience with statistical analysis, including large scale usability studies
- Familiarity working in financial domains
- Experience evaluating platform-level functionality (such as operating system features and user interface toolkits)
- Experience working with enterprise products or software as a service
- Knowledge of eye-tracking methods
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next step.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.