Tax Technology Lead
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 20 Oct 17 2017-10-20
Tax Technology Lead
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City and maintains offices in all fifty states.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer**.
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Our primary business areas are Life Insurance, Retirement and Investments supported by an industry leading Career Agency Distribution channel, Direct to Consumer channel and Third Party Distribution channels.
Member of Tax Department all functions providing tax technology leadership and assistance for all tax department systems. Primary focus is as Corptax Administrator with secondary focus on all other tax systems and processes including , DAY 2 Corptax improvements, Tax Department Portal, SAP Tax fixed assets system, sales & use tax determination system, IPACs partnership system and paperless office objectives. Development of functional tax technolgy strategy and training for tax department members including robotics, sharepoint solutions. Liasion with Enterprise technology and Finance Systems Group. Driver for process improvement in the Tax Department. Participate in Tax Department Assessment and future operating model design. Assist with substantive tax work as needed.
- Corptax administration and Corptax Process improvements.
- Support Tax Department systems such as SAP Tax Fixed Assets, Thomsen Reuters Indirect Tax system.
- Liaison to Enterprise Technology and Finance systems.
- Manage Tax Department IT controls.
- Driver of process improvement for all Tax department functions including robotics.
- Design tax technology training for the department so members have the right amount of tax technology knowledge balanced with their tax technical expertise.
- Lead Sharepoint solutions strategy including Portal.
- Assist with Tax Technical and special projects as required.
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance; Master's Degree desirable --MS or MBA but not required
- Understanding of tax technology systems and applications
- Knowledge of tax function and process improvement
- substantive tax accounting and tax compliance expertise , excellent excel skills;
- Requires expert level tax technology and tax function expertise
- Requires intermediate knowledge of tax accounting under ASC 740 and basic federal and state tax compliance skills
- Insurance company experience a plus but not required.
- Understand technology functions of a large company including enterprise systems
- Good process knowledge and understanding of financial services business can overcome lack of understanding of specific life insurance business
- Should be able to work collaboratively with co-workers and have an attitude of continuous learning and development
- Ability to work as part of a team essential
- Must be able to interact with IT teams
- Will be working as part of various cross function teams and the ability to understand others functional requirements with openess to finding solutions is essential
- Ability to work closely with consultants
- Ability to initiate and design process improvements
Decision Making/Nature of Impact
- Should be able to discern when issues should be raised to manager
- Ability to prioritize tax process improvement and work with the Tax Executive
- Should be assertive and articulate and able to communicate with managers and co-workers throughout the finance function, business units and technology organization
- also ability to communicate with consultants