VP of Software Engineering - Content Platforms
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 21 Apr 18 2018-04-21
VP of Software Engineering - Content Platforms
The VP of Software Engineering - Content Platforms will play a pivotal role in our strategic transformation from product to platform-centric software engineering practices and our transition to agile development methodology. These efforts are occurring within the broader context of major strategic initiatives to extend our market leadership and build next-generation software platforms as we pivot to a platform company. In short, the VP of Software Engineering - Content Platforms will lead fundamental organizational and operational changes of software engineering in our editorial and content development applications.
The ideal candidate must be technical enough to be hands on and has the managerial expertise to direct multiple applications teams as they converge into a platform. Must have the ability to function as an architect and have an excellent customer focused attitude to lead our development teams. As VP of Software Engineering you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of our editorial and content platform, migrate legacy applications onto the platform and have a forward looking view on innovative ways to improve efficiency via robotics.
You will be responsible for the SDLC, technical design, development, QA, build systems, software deployment and datacenter operations. This position will require leading an agile transformation while maintaining the daily operations as the organization is transformed into a platform company. Requires expert insight into the technical complexity of key components and must provide technical guidance to software engineering managers, architects, programmers, infrastructure, product management and other non-technical team members.
Partner, collaborating and aligning with Product Management and customer-facing peers will be a key in identifying what needs to develop so we are always delivering value to our customers.
As a strategic partner with the business and CTO this position will lead the creation of a multi-year roadmap of how technology enables the business and drives value and efficiency at the same time.
In addition to agile transformation, platform development and alignment with the business this position will require managing and building off-shore teams.
• Partner with product management and co-lead an agile transformation while transitioning from consultants to FTEs
• Partner with customer-facing peers to create and deliver on multi-year roadmaps
• Manage and build teams off-shore
• Lead the transformation from multiple applications/tools into a few platforms
• Set & vet the architecture direction of editorial and content platforms
• Migration legacy applications onto the platform
• Identify and consolidate duplicate product functionality, infrastructure environments and teams
• Automate manual tasked via robotics
• Ensure development teams estimate development effort by breaking down components into work items
• Ensure managers assign resources to work items and ensure deadline are meet
• Provide software development progress reports to executive management
• Occasionally get into the user stories and code to validate engineering direction and design
• Work closely with application support to ensure escalated items are addressed accordingly
• Ensure production operations of 99.99% uptime
• Partner with infrastructure to efficiently manage the AWS environments. Implement elastic infrastructure to control costs.
• Lead technology audit compliance based on regulators
• Provide mentoring and guidance to team members
• Continually work on process improvement
• Stay current with modern software development technology
• Experience partnering with Product Management in an agile SDLC
• Prior experience building platforms
• Prior development and management of cloud base software with 1,000's of users is a must
• Must come from a software development background. Prior experience as a software engineer.
• Experience in a regulated industry or extensive SSAE16/SOC2 experience
• Intimate knowledge of Internet development, Java or .NET and Oracle RAC
• Management of high performance agile teams
• Management of on-shore and off-shore teams
• Management of a development team of 40+ FTEs (Dev, QA, BA, System Engineers)
• Previous architecture experience with large scale cloud based software
• Prior experience developing editorial or content systems is a plus
• Oracle and Marklogic databases
• Memory caching
• Java web application development
• JSON, XML, XSL, XPATH
• Master's degree in Technology
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Sciences
• Preferably at least 12+ years of software development experience
• Experience managing application integration projects
• Experience managing an agile SDLC, preferable SCRUM
• Advanced knowledge of object-oriented programming concepts and relational data modeling
• Strong Object Oriented Design, Relational Database Design, and XML Design
• Ability to collaborate and brainstorm in a team environment
• Java certification is a plus
At S&P Global, we don't give you intelligence-we give you essential intelligence. The essential intelligence you need to make decisions with conviction. We're the world's foremost provider of ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include:
- S&P Global Ratings, which provides credit ratings, research and insights essential to driving growth and transparency.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence, which provides insights into companies, markets and data so that business and financial decisions can be made with conviction.
- S&P Dow Jones Indices, the world's largest resource for iconic and innovative indices, which helps investors pinpoint global opportunities.
- S&P Global Platts, which equips customers to identify and seize opportunities in energy and commodities, stimulating business growth and market transparency.