Vice President/Director - Portfolio Algo Engineer (ETF & Index Investments)
Description About this role Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock's ETFs and Index Investments (EII) team manages more than $3.2 trillion in global index equity assets across Global Developed Markets, Emerging Markets, Commodities and REITs. The group offers index equity investors one of the industry's broadest arrays of investment choices. Our clients include corporate pension plans, public pension plans, central banks, sovereign wealth funds and other institutional investors. Job Purpose/Background:
The Investment Platform team within EII is seeking to expand in order to improve business efficiency and scalability. This business-side role entails working with Portfolio Engineers, other members of the Investment Platform team and the BlackRock technology teams, in order to build a best-in-class investment platform. The person filling this role will facilitate the development and maintenance of portfolio engineering systems for index investment processes.
A successful candidate will be able to understand the index equity portfolio construction process and will be able to reliably build and deliver working code that both serves the immediate need and is robust and extensible enough to evolve and support scale as our business grows. Key Responsibilities:
- Implement a leading-edge platform, primarily in Python, for the development, deployment, maintenance and monitoring of investment systems
- Identify, and implement, opportunities for improvement of operational processes
- Understand the BlackRock technology platform and integrate the investment platform into it
- Work with BlackRock technology teams that support EII, to ensure that they understand our requirements and build well-suited tools
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in computer science/engineering/quantitative field with strong computing skills
- Experience in object-oriented multithreaded programming
- Exceptional technical and programming skills in Python (preferred), Java, C++
- Experience with SDLC including agile development methodologies, test-driven development, code versioning tools and continuous integration
- Experience specifying unit tests and system tests
- Experience writing functional and technical specification documents
- Experience working with database and related technologies
- Experience working in trading or finance related fields, with experience of software and platform development
- Experience with large data sets and statistical processing is a plus
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and project management skills
- Excellent team player with high level of motivation and inquisitiveness; comfort with ambiguity
- Effective communication skills
- High level of self-motivation with ability to own and drive multiple projects at once
- High degree of professional integrity, discretion and judgement
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.32 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.