Credit Research Analyst - Morley Capital Management - #220837
- Portland, OR, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Principal Financial Group
- 19 Feb 18 2018-02-19
In this role, you will conduct bottoms up fixed income credit research on designated industries and companies. This includes maintaining credit rating, outlook and relative value assessments of portfolio holdings. Make buy, sell and hold recommendations that meet client investment needs. Provide responsive and timely research to portfolio managers and senior management.
Morley Capital Management (stable value affiliate of Principal Global Investors) is seeking top talent to join our team as a Research Analyst/Trader in our Portland, Oregon office. The firm was founded in 1982 and through the years, has remained at the forefront of the stable value business by excelling at the basics of stable value management while developing innovative new products and investment strategies to enhance client portfolios.
Morley's disciplined investment process has consistently met client objectives and delivered strong performance. With over $17 billion dollars in assets under management, Morley manages assets for a diverse variety of organizations including corporations, governmental plans, financial institutions and Taft-Hartley funds. Morley's objective is to provide customized solutions to best meet client needs and objectives. Services include separate account management, proprietary commingled funds, sub-advised commingled funds and mutual funds.
In this role, you will conduct bottoms up fixed income credit research on designated industries and companies. This includes maintaining credit rating, outlook and relative value assessments of portfolio holdings. Make buy, sell and hold recommendations that meet client investment needs. Provide responsive and timely research to portfolio managers and senior management. Provide additional analysis, as needed, which aids in generating alpha to Morley’s portfolios in areas of macroeconomics, portfolio asset allocation and credit strategy. Further, you will be responsible for executing trades in accordance to Portfolio Manager’s guidance and firm’s policies. You will be expected to have expert knowledge of market dynamics including new issuance, secondary trading levels and general market liquidity.
• Determine best combination of negotiated price and service to buy/sell corporate/fixed income securities within Best Execution and investment guidelines established by Portfolio Manager/Sector Specialist, firm and client.
• Provide relative value trades to Portfolio Managers/Analyst/Sector Specialist and execute them; ensure that all required trade documentation is complete and accurate.
• Proactively develop, foster and maintain positive relationships with wide network of Wall Street traders, brokers, salespeople, Portfolio Managers and PGI investment professionals.
• Must be able to communicate market color, drivers and dynamics to the investment team in a clear, effective manner.
• Research and analyze specific credits to determine internal ratings and potential changes to credit rating agencies outlooks.
• Conduct research and analysis in a time sensitive manner and promptly inform Credit Team of any change in developments.
• Provide specific value-added, actionable trade recommendation based on a sound thesis and thorough research.
• Maintain relative value matrix of assigned sectors and buy/sell/hold recommends on specific credits.
• Must have a high level of self-initiative and confidence and be comfortable taking positions and educated risks.
• Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred with emphasis in finance, economics or accounting.
• Minimum of 2 years of related experience.
• CFA designation preferred.
• Strong PC proficiency with excellent Excel skills required.
• Proven industry expertise and excellent time management skills are necessary.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
• Ability to operate effectively with a very high level of autonomy and self-direction is a must.
• Need to be able to make good decisions under duress.
• Some overnight travel required.
This position may be subject to SEC restrictions on personal political contributions.
Principal is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic partner status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.