MANAGER-SALES & USE TAX
Manager - Sales and Use Tax Grade: 12
(Relevant to Internal only) The Location:
Charlottesville or Denver The Team and Impact:
S&P Global ("the Company") is seeking a Manager, Sales and Use Tax with experience in U.S. indirect taxation of corporations. The successful candidate will be a key member of the State and Local Tax team that has primary responsibility for all aspects of S&P Global's U.S. indirect tax compliance, accounting, controversy, and planning projects.
This position will report to the Director, State and Local Tax. Responsibilities:
Tax Compliance and Audit
- Review all U.S. sales, use, and other indirect tax returns for S&P and subsidiaries.
- Manage compliance process and work closely with external preparers and advisers to complete tax deliverables and summaries.
- Review monthly general ledger account reconciliations.
- Prepare business license, gross receipts, commercial activities, environment fees, and occupation-based returns.
- Manage overall state indirect tax compliance calendar and ensure deadlines are met.
- Manage sales and use tax notices and information document requests.
- Manage the process of multi-state audits, including the documentation of audit assessments, appeals, and closing agreements.
- Assist in the preparation of the quarterly and annual tax provision, including the accrual and maintenance of FAS 5 reserves.
- Maintain sales and use tax accounts roll-forward schedules.
- Provide interim cash forecasts.
Tax Planning and Research
- Monitor U.S. tax legislation developments and assist with analysis of the impact to the Company.
- Research and draft technical memoranda on various state tax positions.
- Respond and interact with business units on all U.S. sales and use tax matters.
- Collaborate with operating divisions in resolving indirect tax inquiries on invoices and purchase orders.
- Assist with the maintenance and issuance of resale/exemption certificates.
- Maintain U.S. taxability matrices of the Company's products, purchase categories, and nexus footprint for each business unit.
- Create new processes and practices in the U.S. sales and use tax cycle to improve efficiency and to mitigate reporting risks.
- Provide guidance for the application of tax technology and enterprise systems/platforms used in the sales invoicing and procurement functions.
- Participate in discussions with senior management and other Finance stakeholders on sales and use tax technical issues.
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $100,800 to $230,200. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location. This role is eligible to receive S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires . Preferred Qualifications:
- 5+ years of professional experience in U.S. sales and use tax with exposures to multiple states and local jurisdictions.
- Experience with indirect tax compliance and audit.
- Ability to supervise, mentor, and develop staff members in a team-oriented and dynamic environment.
- Strong written and interpersonal skills with the ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven track record in dealing with automation technology and sales tax management tools such as Vertex.
- Ability to utilize tax technology systems and databases adopted by the Company.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel (e.g. Pivot tables, VLOOKUP's).
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance; Master's in Taxation preferred.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Experience with a public accounting firm preferred.
- General knowledge of federal and state tax accounting preferred.
At S&P Global, we don't give you intelligence-we give you essential intelligence. The essential intelligence you need to make decisions with conviction. We're the world's foremost provider of credit ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include S&P Global Ratings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices and S&P Global Platts. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
202 - Middle Professional (EEO Job Group) (inactive), 20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), FINANC202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group) Job ID:
262100 Posted On:
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States