Senior Investment Accountant
- $63,600 - $106,000
- Olympia, WA, USA Olympia WA US
- Permanent, Full time
- Washington State Investment Board
- 14 Jun 18 2018-06-14
The Washington State Investment Board (WSIB) is seeking a skilled professional to serve as a professional-level Senior Investment Accountant. This is a full time, exempt position reporting to the Portfolio Administration Manager. The position is part of a co-management team that works collaboratively with peers to allow opportunities for cross training and growth at all levels within the team.
This position provides support to the managers in the unit by overseeing the day-to- day work of the portfolio administration unit. The incumbent will serve as primary backup to the Portfolio Administration Manager and assist in ensuring effective and efficient operations of the unit, including daily valued funds oversight, trade settlement support, investment analytic support, and monthly and quarterly reconciliations between several complex investment accounting support systems.
• Supervises portfolio administrative market documentation functions such as fund or investment tax status and foreign country registrations, corporate actions, securities registrations, FINRA and FATCA certifications, and other miscellaneous investment related forms.
• Coordinates tax withholdings with tax consultants in foreign markets. Maintains authorization letters and other correspondence with brokers.
• Verifies daily and monthly cash and other miscellaneous transactions.
• Monitors and reviews periodic pricing, valuation, and stale pricing reports with appropriate follow-up and documentation.
• Verifies and coordinates all class action filings.
• Monitors and tracks tax filings and associated payments with tax consultant in India and other markets as required.
• Reviews quarterly tax reclaim reports for timely payment of international taxes and follow-up with custodian bank.
• Coordinates annual state tax filings to reclaim taxes withheld from private equity distributions. Monitors and tracks payments received.
• Assists in the preparation of materials and analysis for various presentations to the Board and various committees.
• Reviews of the custody, India tax filing, and cash overlay vendor payment verification.
• Assists in the monthly reconciliation review process and annual audited financial statements.
• Completes market opening and maintenance requirements.
• Leads, or participates in, various complex projects assigned by the Investment and Financial Services Director.
• Ensures that all internally initiated trades and FX transactions settle in a timely manner.
• Ensures that daily valued funds are accurately reconciled, unitized, and priced within the strict deadlines.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
• Five years’ experience in accounting, investment accounting, trade settlement, or closely related field.
• Certified Public Accountant.
• Experience with back office operations of an investment management firm, institutional investor, corporate pension plan, custodian bank, etc.
• Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards and Statutory Accounting Standards.
• Financial Statement preparation.
The strongest candidates will possess:
• Experience – Diverse experience in accounting and financial reporting with strong project management skills. Experience with complex accounting systems and processes. Experience designing and implementing process improvements within an accounting department. Experience with back office services of a custodian bank or institutional or other investor.
• Analytical Skills – Ability to comprehend and execute highly technical and complicated information and instructions. Ability to understand the impact of transactions that interface with various systems and processes outside the unit.
• Communication Skills – Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, across all levels of the agency and external entities such as consultants, stakeholders, third party record keepers, custodian bank, and external investment managers.
• Collaboration Skills – Ability to co-lead and manage processes and teams for the purposes of cross training, skill development, and unit coverage.
• Leadership Skills – Ability to effectively supervise and train staff.
• Computer Skills – Intermediate to advanced Excel skills. Experience with complex financial processing systems and trade settlement platforms.
TO APPLY PLEASE VISIT – WWW. CAREERS.WA. GOV
In addition to a complete profile, please attach:
• A cover letter specifying why this position is of interest to you, and how you meet the qualifications listed above. This letter should be no more than two pages.
• A current chronological resume.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.