Senior Credit Officer - Commodities Risk - AME
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates Dubai Dubai AE
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 20 Jun 18 2018-06-20
About Standard Chartered We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
- Plan development of risk parameters for Commodities Risk, Africa and Middle East region according to Risk Tolerance and Policy Frameworks and documents in portfolio standards.
- Inform the development of business plans with the provision of cost and impairment forecasts and a balanced judgment on the external environment.
- Align strategy of the Risk function with business strategy and risk appetite and oversee its execution.
- Identify, measure and monitor material risk affecting CIB and CB portfolios in the context of the external market environment.
- Communicate the strategic intent and collective agenda for the Risk function.
- Maintain and develop the risk capabilities, and skills to meet ongoing business needs and plans.
People and Talent
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
- Responsibility to review team structure/capacity plans.
- Define an organization structure aligned and scaled to the risk control needs of the business.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Risk function from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits
- Assess the credit risk profile of the Corporate & Institutional and Commercial banking portfolio, maintaining alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors.
- Initiate stress tests as required by internal and external factors and review results and assess their implications.
- Ensure that effective management response plans are in place to respond to extreme but plausible scenarios.
- Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite.
- Direct appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the CCO's attention.
- Exercise risk control responsibility for Credit Risk for CIB and CB only businesses in the Africa and Middle East region.
- Ensure risk capabilities are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations.
- Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees and to Group and business-level committees as appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate judgment is applied in the discharge of risk authorities assigned to the jobholder, taking account of concentration risk across sectors, geographies and markets.
- Design, maintain and effectively communicate risk control parameters across the Business, including policies, control standards, risk exposure limits and other control levers in order to maintain the risk profile in line with the Group's risk appetite.
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures.
- Obtain assurance regarding the effectiveness of the business controls and compliance with applicable laws & regulations.
- Maintain delegated authorities in line with internal policies and ensure that delegations are in line with individual capabilities.
- Actively participate in key committees through standing membership.
- Ensure first line process owners understand and accept their risk management responsibilities.
- Maintain an open and cooperative relationship in dealings with regulators.
- Align the strategy of the risk function with business strategy and risk appetite and oversee its execution.