Head of Retail Risk Operations, Vietnam
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities Strategy
- Manage Retail Clients Credit Initiation and Fraud Risk activities for Vietnam retail banking effectively and efficiently
- Work with CCH, CCRO, Policy, Collections, QAC, PMF, RB Products, RB Country Head and other external stakeholders in the country / region for smooth functioning of Credit Initiation and Fraud risk management.
- Set the strategic direction and goals for the country Credit Initiation and Fraud Risk Management teams.
- Implement strategies effectively in country and track the progress.
- Work with CCH and Retail Banking Head to design and implement the Fraud Risk strategy and infrastructure for the country for channels and products within Retail Clients segment.
- Optimise operating efficiency while balancing the effectiveness of decision making within the Risk Operations function.
- Ensure the Fraud Risk Management framework is effectively embedded and communicated across Customers segment.
- Ensure the cost budget in Risk Operations is based on robust capacity plans and is delivered through a rigorous cost management discipline.
- Identify, coordinate process / efficiency improvements, and drive the relevant projects for Vietnam
People and Talent
- Ensure that credit origination decisions are executed in line with the delegated authority while adhering to the process standards defined by CCO, Retail Clients.
- Lead and drive standardisation, automation and consolidation through re-engineering and process improvement initiatives in the region for Credit Initiation and Fraud Risk control.
- Develop and maintain fraud management capabilities, skills and infrastructure in the region that are in compliance with both internal policies and external regulations and are responsive to fraud attacks.
- Manage capacity planning. Develop and maintain robust and scalable Credit Initiation processes to execute risk management policies and strategies.
- Leverage and build credit assessment infrastructure capability to optimize process efficiency.
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and escalated through the relevant committees.
- Implement the Operational Risk Framework in Risk Operations and monitor the operational risk metrics for the region to identify potential control weaknesses.
- Identify and track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to support strategy testing environment and daily operations.
- Drive cross training culture in both the Credit Initiation and the FRM teams.
- Ensure that mandatory trainings have been completed by underwriters.
- Support the identification, engagement and retention of high quality CI and FRM professionals at a country level.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Ensure that holders of all critical roles are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values within the Risk Operations team. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Encourage and promote an active training and learning environment to facilitate excellence in risk management, risk awareness, behaviours and accountability.
- Identify and share industry best practices and work with the businesses for their feasibility and implementation.
- Develop a collaborative relationship with regulators, peer banks and fraud risk industry forums to help detect and mitigate fraud.
- Ensure monitoring of through the door applications quality by Risk Operations teams and timely feedback to in-country stakeholders for optimizing risk and reward relationship.
- Ensure all CI and FRM policies and procedures comply with Group Policies and Standards. Ensure proper and updated documentation in place for in-country policies and procedures.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Ensure compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements.
- Embed the Group's values and code of conduct in Risk Operations to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees forms part of the culture.
- Accountable for satisfactory closure of issues / gaps arising from Internal Audits, peer reviews and regulatory reviews for the countries in the Region.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, and applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead my country / region to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; and The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Internal stakeholders
- RCO Retail clients, CCHs, CCROs, CCO, Senior Risk Officers
- Country CEO, Country Business Heads and Product Head, Retail Client segment
- Credit Policy heads , Legal & Compliance , Country Technology, HR
- Country Collections Heads
- Country & Scope Operations
- Financial Crime Risk
- Relevant members of Risk Operations management team
- Internal IT partners supporting Retail Clients
- Customer Experience Management units for the countries in the region
- External stakeholders
- Auditors and Regulators
- Associations (Visa, MasterCard, Amex and other Regional / Local forums), Credit Bureaus and peer Banks
- Law Enforcement agencies
- Suppliers, vendors and consultants
- Business Strategy and Model: Good working knowledge of Standard Chartered's Retail Clients business and that of peers in the industry
- Non-technical Skills: Strong written / oral communication and influencing skills. Ability to create effective work relationships within and across functions & borders
- Risk Management and Control : Good working knowledge of Standard Chartered's approach to risk management, specifically as applicable to Risk Operations
- Governance, Oversight and Controls: Strong leadership capabilities and management skills, with the ability to deliver effective controls within Risk Operations through both directly-managed and virtual team
- Regulatory Framework and Requirements: Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role of Head, Risk Operations
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .