Stepping into the gargantuan shoes of Sir Sandy "Standard Lifer" Crombie was never going to be an easy task, but the firm has searched within for his successor, choosing current finance director David Nish. Below is a version of his CV fashioned entirely by us from facts we have elicited about his career to date.
How can you follow in his footsteps? Study hard, rise up the ranks and don't be afraid to get involved in company boards. Oh, and stay close to your roots - apart from a stint in Canada between 1987-89 while at Price Waterhouse, Nish hasn't strayed from his native Scotland.
Name: David Thomas Nish
Summary (entirely fabricated...):
"Though new to the insurance industry, I've had a 25-year love affair with accountancy, and possess real passion for mergers and acquisitions."
Date of birth: 5 May 1960
· B.Acc, University of Glasgow, 1981
· ACA, Institute of Chartered of Accountants of Scotland, 1984
· Standard Life, Group finance director and executive director - 2006-2009
· Scottish Power, Executive director, Infrastructure Division, May 2005-September 2005 (details of departure on request)
· Scottish Power - 1997-May 2005
Positions held: Deputy finance director (1997-1999), Finance director (1999-2005)
· Price Waterhouse - 1981-1997 (made full-equity partner in 1993)
· Standard Life Bank, Standard Life Assurance, Standard Life Assurance - 2006-ongoing.
· Northern Foods Plc - July 2005-ongoing
· Royal Scottish National Orchestra - 2002-2008
· Thus (telecommunications operator) - 2001-2002
OTHER APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS:
Government Employers Pensions Task Force - 2004-2005
Accounting Standards Board Urgent Issues Task Force - 2004-2005
Scottish Business Awards Finance Director of the Year - 2000